Official Translation from Persian
Nursing System Organization Law
Islamic Republic of Iran
List of Contents
First chapter- Generalities
Article 1- Definition of the Organization
Article 2- Goals of the Organization
Second chapter: Duties and Authorities
Article 3- Duties and authorities of the Organization
Third chapter: Organization
Article 4- Organization
Article 5- Members of the high council
Article 6- Director general of the organization
Article 7- Board of directors of districts
Article 8- Members of the board of directors
Article 9- Chairman of the board of directors
Article 10- Secretariat of the organization
Article 11- Budget of the organization
Article 12- Annual registration of the organization
Article 13- Duties of high council
Article 14- Duties of the director general of the organization
Article 15- Duties of the board of directors of districts.
Fourth chapter: Membership and election
A: membership conditions
Article 16- Iranian national nurses, assistant nurses, operation room and anesthesia technicians
Article 17- Election of the board of directors
Article 18- The combination of central council for supervision on election
Article 19- Duties of the central council for supervision
Article 20- Election of board of directors
Article 21- Voters' qualification
Article 22- Candidates' qualification
Fifth chapter: Miscellaneous
Article 23- Investigation of guild and professional violation
Article 24- Violation of rules and punishments
Article 25- In-charge of elections
Article 26- Powers of courts in informing the primary council of disciplinary forces
Article 27- Copies that are against the law
Article 28- Organization's logo
First Chapter- Generalities
Article 1- Definition of organization
The Nursing Systems Organization of the Islamic Republic of Iran; hereinafter in this Act is referred to as "Organization", is an independent organization with legal identity which has been established for realizing the goals and duties of the Organization (as set forth in this law).
Article 2- Goals of the Organization
- To work for improvement and perfection of nursing profession
- To work for maintaining the nurses and people's rights against nursing services
- To work for the establishment, preservation and supporting legal, physical, spiritual and professional rights of nurses
- To work for promoting knowledge and skills level of nurses and their on-the-job training courses
- To familiarize society with the duties and services of nurses
- To work in executing Islamic measures and values in nursing section
- To work for proper and precise execution of medical regulations and ethics in nursing section
- To cooperate with organizations and legal institutes inside the country and in international institutes.
Second Chapter- Duties and Authorizations
Article 3- The duties and authorizations of the organization in achieving its goals are:
- to cooperate in development and determining educational standards of different nursing levels
- to cooperate in determining the number and method of admitting nursing students in the Iranian universities
- to work for improving the quality of skills and knowledge of nursing graduates
- to contribute in establishing and expanding nursing researches in the country and suitable and efficient use of the achievements of the researches
- Cooperation in determining service standards and the duties description in different classes of nursing
- to cooperate in supervision, control and evaluation of the methods of offering services and observing nursing rules and regulations
- to determine criteria for the issuance, extension or cancellation of membership card in the organization
- to cooperate in determining scientific, research and professional exchanges with legal organizations inside the country and other courtiers as well as international scientific, academic and professional associations to improve educational and service quality of nursing
- to present expert's reports on the nursing violation of rules as referred to this organization by the medical organization of the Islamic Republic of Iran for due consultation.
- to cooperate in developing regulations for providing professional rights, maintaining and improving social measures of nurses.
Third Chapar: Organization
Article 4- The organization's structure is as follows:
1- Director general
2- Board of directors
3- Secretariat of the High Council
4- Internal commissions and expertise councils for investigation of violations
Article 5- Members of high council are:
A. twenty five principal member and five alternate members of nursing staff. The combination of principal members is as follows:
Eighteen experts and higher ranks, five assistant nurses, one operation room technician and one anesthesia technician who should be elected with the majority of votes of the representatives of districts board of directors.
B. One representative as introduced by he health and treatment commission of the Islamic Legislative Assembly (Majlis) (as observers) and two nurses, appointed by the minister of health and medical education, one nurse from armed forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran as appointed to by the headquarter of Grand Leader and a representative introduced by State Forensic Medicine Organization.
Note 1. The alternate members include three nurses, one assistant nurse and one operation room or anesthesia technician who attain majority of votes in their fields after principal members.
Note 2. the boards of directors of districts have five hundred participants who cast vote in the nursing system election to elect one member of the board of directors to hold general meetings of representatives. Districts that have one thousand participants would introduce two members per each five hundred additional members. The representatives meeting will elect members of high council directly and in writing amongst qualified candidates.
Note 3. The session of high council of nursing system is held at least twice a month. The sessions will be valid by the presence of two third of high council member and the decisions made by majority of votes will be indispensable for the concerned affiliated units.
Note 4. The minister of health and medical education, his deputies and the director general of nursing could participate and express views in the sessions of high council without any votes.
Note 5. The high council of nursing has one chairman, two deputies of chairman and one secretary who are elected for two years with relative majority. There is no restriction in re-electing the members.
Note 6. High council of nursing system has consultative commissions whose number and duties will be determined by the high council of nursing.
Director general of the organization who has the responsibility of executing high council's approvals as well as administrating the organization's affairs- as per article 14- will be a nurse with a bachelor's degree education and member of the high council of the organization. The director general should be elected with absolute votes of members for a four-year period and there is no restriction in his/her re-election.
Note- The method of investigating resignation or questioning director general of the organization will be put in the agenda upon the request of minimum seven members of high council and should follow the internal memos of the council.
In towns who has a minimum number of two hundred members (as per article 16) (minimum one fifth of them should be B.S. or higher degree holders) will establish board of directors of district.
Note- The meetings of board of directors of the districts are held once per month and will be convened with minimum two third of official members and decisions taken with maximum votes will be valid.
The board of directors of districts consists of nine principal members and three alternate inspectors as follows:
- Six numbers (at least two educational staff)
- Two assistant nurses
- One operation room or anesthesia technician
Note 1- If (operation room or anesthesia) technicians are not elected, a nurse should be elected instead.
Note 2- For each one of the clauses 1, 2 and 3, an alternate member will be also elected.
Note 3- The board of directors of nursing system of districts of province capital should undertake duties and responsibilities of the boar of directors of nursing systems of the affiliated districts of the province which do not have a board of directors from nursing system.
Note 4- If the province center and affiliated districts lack nursing system, their affairs will be settled by the nursing system of a town or central province town which will be duly specified by the high council of nursing system.
The chairman of board of directors of nursing system of any of districts will be one of the members of board of directors with minimum B.S. degree who will be elected upon the suggestion of absolute majority of members and the order of director general of the organization for a four-year period and his/her discharge will be possible through order of director general of the organization.
The secretariat of nursing system organization has been established in the central organization in Tehran.
The budget of nursing system organization will be provided from membership, contribution and gifts of legal entitles and natural persons.
The amount and method of receiving annual membership fee of the members and other financial and administrative regulation of the organization as well as method of spending the budget will be executed after approval of high council.
Article 13- The duties of high council are:
- to approve suggestions of consultative commissions
- to cooperate and coordinate with concerned institutes in nursing affairs
- to approve annual budget of the board of director of districts
- to supervise on good performance of approvals
- to supervise on the function of nursing systems in districts
- to investigate disciplinary violations of the board of directors of nursing systems in districts and establishing necessary coordination among them
- to approve necessary by-laws to administer organization and facilitate assigned duties
- to dissolve board of directors of districts in following cases:
- disregarding the duties assigned as per this law, according to the decision of high council
- non establishment of four frequent sessions and/or six meetings with intervals with no justified excuse, as decided for by the high council.
Note 2. The Secretary of high council is responsible for holding and administering secretariat of the organization.
Article 14- The duties of director general of the organization are:
- to execute approvals of high council and contents of the law, pertaining to the establishment of nursing system organization
- chairman of finance administrative council and welfare and cooperation funds
- to spend organization's expenses according to the approvals of high council of nursing
- to confirm and issue the orders of chiefs of nursing system of districts as suggested by the board of directors of that city as well as discharging the mentioned chiefs.
Article 15- Duties of the board of directors of the districts are:
- the board of directors of each district will have the entire powers and duties of the organization in the limits of that district.
- To present plans and suggestions to the consultative commissions of the high council
- To follow up and supervise good performance of approvals of high council
- To suggest annual budget of nursing system of districts to the high council of nursing and its expenditure after approval according to the by-law passed by the high council.
Fourth Chapter- Membership and election:
A. membership conditions:
Any Iranian nationals in nursing assistant nursing, operation room technician, anesthesia technicians and affiliated classes of nursing profession fields are allowed to apply for membership at the organization.
Note- members of organizations should pay an annual membership fee. The amount and method of receiving the fee will be in accordance with the instructions which are prepared by the high council of nursing.
The election of the first course will be made maximum three months after approval of this law and upon notice of the ministry of health and medical education and for subsequent periods, the election will be made three months before expiry date of commitment period of the director general of the organization and at the same time as the central council for supervision on election is being elected.
Note- The election of the board of directors of nursing systems in districts which have been already dissolve or their elections have been cancelled or invalidated by the central council for supervision will be held maximum within three months and upon coordination of the supervision council and observing other provisions of relevant law.
The council for supervision on election which is elected for four years will be as follows:
- two members at the election of the minister of health and medical education
- Two representatives as observers at the introduction of the health and medical commission and election of Islamic Legislative Assembly.
- One representative of attorney general as the observer
- Two representatives from medical council organization of the Islamic Republic of Iran
The central council for supervision has following duties:
- to elect three to five members of the council to supervise election of district nursing systems and election of high council of nursing system and their election or discharge
- to supervise on good performance of elections in election polls
- to investigate qualification of membership candidates for the board of directors of nursing system in districts and high council as well as notification of the views of central councils to the executive councils of the election
- to investigate the claims of candidates within the legal frameworks and related by-laws
- to investigate claims of candidates whose qualification has not been confirmed by supervision councils and due revision
- to stop or cancel elections partially or entirely within the frameworks of legal articles and instructions, directly or upon suggestion of executive councils or supervision councils of election polls
- Final approval of good performance of elections of nursing system board of directors of districts and members of high council of nursing system as well as signing credit of electors
- to investigate claims and objection in writing of the board of directors of individuals concerning confirmation of candidates' membership at the board of directors of nursing system and due revisions
Note- The central council of supervision is authorized to assign duties of this article to any supervision council on election of board of directors of district nursing systems and high council of nursing, partially or entirely.
Election of board of directors of nursing systems of districts and members of high council of nursing system of districts will be entrusted to the executive councils of the election. The method, holding manner, quality of their work and procedures of related elections will be accordance with the by-law which will be developed by the high council of nursing system and approved by the minister of health and medical education.
Note- The mentioned by-law will be developed in the first course of election of the central council and duly approved by the minister of health and medical education.
The candidates should have following qualifications:
- membership qualification
- holding membership card at nursing system organization in first course of election, certificate of the ministry of health and medical education will be sufficient
- to live in the election districts on time of election upon approval of board of directors of that district or health and medical network of the district.
The qualifications of candidates at the board of directors of district nursing system and high council of nursing system are as follows:
- to have membership conditions at nursing system organization
- to have no records of conviction that had led to deprivation from social rights
- to have minimum three years of records, residence or employment at the election district
- having no records of violation of moral rules or moral and financial corruption and fraud
- Practical commitment to Islam and constitution law
Note 1. Religious minorities as named in the constitution law should follow their own religious beliefs; provided that they do not breach Islamic laws and codes in public.
Note 2. Members of supervision and executive councils can not volunteer as candidates.
Fifth Chapter: Miscellaneous:
To investigate professional and guild offences of nursing profession and relevant groups, the board of directors in the center and districts that have expertise's councils should act as advisor to the medical council organization in accordance with clause 9 of article 3 of this law.
The offences and punishments will be in accordance with the law pertaining to the establishment of Medical Council System of the Islamic Republic of Iran approved on January 10, 1996, to be decided on primary and supreme disciplinary councils of medical council organization.
The ministry of health and medical education will be in-charge of election of board of directors in districts and the high council elections, through executive councils, by observing the provisions of this law.
The courts of the Islamic republic of Iran are entitled to inform the disciplinary primary councils of medical council of the relevant districts twenty four hours before arresting any nurses to the court to investigate their charges on professional failure; unless in cases when the judge decides there is a risk of escape or set up.
Those parts of the laws that are against this law will be considered as abolished.
The high council of organization is obliged to prepare the logo of the organization and have it approved within six months.
The above-mentioned Act, consisting twenty eight articles and twenty notes, has been passed at the Islamic Legislative Assembly on its open session dated December 2, 2001 and was duly confirmed by the Guardianship Council on December 12, 2001.
True translation is certified.
September 1, 2004